Tuesday, June 20, 2006

La La La La Chanze!

At first I was mad. Too mad to even think about it, much less blog. I mean, eleven nominations and only one win? And then I calmed down, got my union newsletter and realized what a coup that one win really was.

The Color Purple, as you know, was nominated for eleven Tony Awards and the one winner was the brilliant and lovely La Chanze, who plays Celie, the role that, in her words, “she was born to play”. Well, evidently the Good Lord agreed because now she’s got a big beautiful Tony to go with her big beautiful voice. And--drumroll please--she beat out none other than long time Divas Patti LuPone and Chita Rivera (not to mention Miss Sutton Foster & Miss Kelli O’Hara) for Best Performance by a Leading Actress in a Musical. You go, La Chanze. So talented, so skilled and so deserving.

I remember first seeing her in Once on this Island, a play DivaCardista knows she is supposed to just love so much she could sop it with a biscuit because of its provenance, pedigree, etc, but [shrug shoulders while making New Yorker lukewarm reception face & sound here] it just didn't move me all that much. Howsumever I do remember La Chanze being just wonderful. And now she is even more wonderful. Brava, Diva! Brava!

Well over here where I sit and dream while listening to Sarah Vaughan caress "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" into the most sultry, satiny, gorgeous thing you could ever dare to imagine, only to possibly be outdone by the last sunset of spring, going down all warm salmon mango golden, it has occurred to me that one needs not bake small corn muffins as one would a pork roast.

As I repair to my stove to rescue my dinner, here's hoping for the best summer we've ever had.

Blessings,
DivaCardista

No comments: