Wednesday, August 13, 2008

It Took all the Strength I Had...

So early last evening, I was all dressed and powdered, ready with my blanket & large piece of plastic to go under the blanket and the goal of having my favorite deli sandwich of low salt turket on wheat with the merest hint of mustard with a diet snapple green tea, when I realize I don't quite know where I'm going. After all, Central Park is no wee small place. So, something said you'd better check online before you launch off to see Mz. Jill Scott in concert at the SummerStage, for which your DivaCardista paid nigh unto 90 clams...only to discover that neither she nor Mr. Wyclef Jean would be there as the whole shebang was cancelled.

So...there I was, all dressed up and no place to go. But since your DivaCardista is just about always up for an adventure, she decided to launch off to the city anyway. Who knows what she would find? There is always the possibility of something great to explore in Gotham. And having ruled out the cinema and the world of dance, in addition to not wanting to drop another knot on the Chaka concert at the Nokia...after the Jill upset, the bloom had pretty much fallen off the rose as far as concert going was concerned...I turned again to my faithful friend, The Theatre!

And, I am happy to report, it did not disappoint.

The show I went to see was [title of show] and was I glad. Sure, it has a fair amount of language, however, there is so much hope and wit and craft and genuine affection for Broadway, how could you not appreciate this uptown/downtown musical? This evening was all the more exciting and enjoyable for me as, of course, your DivaCardista has a good friend in the cast, the divine and iridescent Ms. Susan Blackwell. But every member of the quintet (if you include Larry at the Piano) was great.

So I came home, feeling all uplifted and encouraged about my own work and inspired about the latest theatrical piece I'm working on, when, in as many weeks, the second lead in my wee church play says they need to drop out.


Me: OK, God: what now? when will the bloodletting end?

God: I'll handle it.

Me: Are you sure there's nothing more I can do?

God: If you cdve, you wdve by now, doncha think?

Me: They're gonna tear me a new one at our next meeting, you
know...

God: Not hip to your process, huh?

Me: Neither do they regard it too highly, I don't think...

God: Well, you have to trust me on this: everything will work out...

a fitful night of sleep passes. the sun burns bright into the room.
it is suddenly 9am.


Me: ...and I say what exactly to the rest of the cast?

God: Tell them...tell them what I told you. And stop acting
like such a misfit. You do have authority in this area. You know how I know?
Because I gave it to you.


So yes, it took all the strength I had not to fall apart the first time and I have to go to a similar place to deal with this [potential] second jejune blow.

All this for a 27 page play to be done in the woods. Sheesh.

I have to stop thinking that what is easy to me--writing/staging/producing/performing a play--is easy to every one else, and vice versa. An example of vice versa? Passing the road test. Look at how many cars there are on the road--all folk who, unlike moi, figured out how to pass the road test.

Life, eh?

No, I still can't believe that Bernie and Issac are gone. Hot buttered soul and hot comedy as satisfying as butter on a hot biscuit...gone. We miss them terribly. Glad they were here. Our lives are richer for it.

Well, let me get to this resume I'm working on.

I wish you joy this fine August day.

New Blessings,
DivaCardista
blessedstarcards.com
need to update or create
your resume?
give me a shout:
joy@blessedstarcards.com

2 comments:

Kidbilly said...

Dorcas found God in herself and she loved her. I will miss her every day of my life.

taot said...

Just heard about Dorcas today. I will miss her deeply. Wish that her soul could remain here.

I believe that she is home now.