Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Tilapia & Me (a fish tale)

Just after I bless my food, I hear this raspy little voice:

"Don't get the coffee. It's 2.25."

Excuse me? I ask, as I am not only a tea lover but currently have a 14 inch tall glass of water in front of me. I am neither thinking nor drinking coffee.

She was a small woman with shocks of amber hair styled in a small sea of tiny swirls. She wore a London Fog trench coat. She looked frail.

"Now, I don't even know if you like coffee," she began, "but Dunkin Donuts has good coffee." She pauses for emphasis, looking disgustedly at her narrow brown mug. "And you're certainly not gonna pay 2.25 for it." She lowers her voice two more decibels while covering her mouth with the margharita menu. "Can you believe this place? Now, my shrimp were delicious, with the baby spinach, but 2.25 for this? I could see 1.50, 2 bucks, but 2.25? Come on..." she said, clearly indicating not only the crime & the cup, but the very incredulity of it all.

"I asked for another piece of garlic bread...fifty cents! I mean..." she trailed off. "Thank God water is still free." We both had to laugh. "What'd you get?"

Tilapia, I said. It's on the Weight Watchers menu. Three grams of fat.

"Oh," she said. "Fish."

It's spicy, but nice.

"Oh yeah? Mine was good too, except I didn't have near as much shrimp as I'd like. What can you do. Everything is more expensive these days. But my shrimp was good."

I began to eat again. She stood to leave a tip and button her coat. She smiled wistfully.

"You have a nice evening. It was nice talking to you."

You too, I said.

"And be sure to try the Duncan Donuts coffee."

I will I said. I will.

Single Divas eating solo: 1
Lonliness: zip

(And may you also eat good in your neighborhood this rainy spring day.)

Blessings,
DivaCardista
www.blessedstarcards.com
5/13 is right around the corner...

No comments: